Heat stroke is a condition resulting from overheating of the body; due to long-term vulnerability to or even physical exertion in high temperatures. This most severe kind of heat injury, heat stroke occurs if the body temperature goes up to 104 °F (60 °C) or higher.
Heat weariness is not life-threatening unless it is overlooked. However, sunstroke can be disastrous if not properly taken care of. Once the cooling mechanism breaks down, the core temperature goes up rapidly and also death can occur within half an hour.
Heat stroke is more serious than heat exhaustion/fatigue as it might cost your life. Individuals with may suffer from seizures, fever, or can also go into a coma. Nevertheless, this condition is foreseeable and preventable. There are 2 forms of heat stroke (1) classic or perhaps non-exercise-induced (2) is exertional or maybe activity-induced.
All individual is prone to heat stroke, from sportsmen to couch potatoes (an individual who takes little or no exercise as well as watches a lot of television). Also, the best protection against any heat-related condition is its prevention. If you take proper measures and also know the signs and symptoms, it is possible to prevent the chance of heat stroke. Keep a close watch on the aged and infants, individuals on certain prescribed drugs, athletes, and also outdoor workers.
Common Warning Signs of Heat Stroke:
- Fatigue- weakness
- Dizzy or even nauseous
- Sweating excessively
- Pale skin
- Rapid heartbeat
- Fast, shallow breathing
In severe cases, you may observe signs and symptoms as shown below:
Seek treatment right away if any of these signs and symptoms are present below:
- Skin that feels hot and also dry, but not sweaty
- Thumping headache
- Regular troubles of vomiting
- Confusion or even loss of consciousness
- Shortness of breath or maybe difficulty while breathing
- A throbbing headache.
- Dizziness and also light-headedness.
- The deficit in sweating despite the heat.
- Red-colored, hot, and dry skin.
- Muscle weakness or perhaps cramps.
- Nausea and also vomiting.
- Fast heartbeat, which may be either strong or weak.
- Fast, shallow breathing.
Measures To Prevent Heatstroke During Harsh Weather:
- Wear light-weight clothing, loose-fitting, .
- Defend against sunburn. Sunburn affects the body’s chance to cool itself, so wear a wide-brimmed hat and also sunglasses to guard you in the outdoors. Ensure you apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen that has a sun protection factor SPF of at least 15. Put on the sunscreen correctly, and you can put it on again after every 2 hours or more often, especially if you are swimming or even sweating a lot.
- Drink a lot of of fluids. Staying hydrated the body system will sweat and also maintain a normal body temperature. Also, since you lose salt when you are sweating, you can replenish salt and also water with some sports beverages.
- Do not drink caffeine, sugary or even alcoholic beverages to rehydrate; it can accelerate dehydration. These drinks may interfere with the body’s capability to control the temperature. Also, ice-cold drinks can cause tummy cramps.
- Open windows and make use of fans or turn on air conditioning.
- Do not overexert yourself. Make sure to schedule exercise or perhaps physical labor on cooler periods of the day, for instance, early morning or evening.
- By no means should you keep anyone or remain in a parked vehicle, particularly when parked under the sun, the temperature in the car can rise 20 °F (above -6.67 °C) in 10 minutes.
- Take precautions with specific drugs that can affect the body’s ability to remain hydrated and also dissipate heat. For example, some hypertension and heart medicines, weight loss supplements (amphetamines), laxatives, some psychological health medications, seizure medications, thyroid pills, and also oral Hypoglycemia drugs.
If you suspect heat stroke, take the following measures:
- Relocate the victim to a much cooler spot
- Remove or even avoid wearing heavy/thick clothes
- Fan the body- as a source of ventilation
- Relax in the shade to cool off.
- Make use of a cold sponge soaked in water or clean cloth to wet it down
- Motivate the affected individual to drink cold fluids.
- Visit Heatstroke treatment centers- they work on cooling your body to a normal temperature to prevent or even reduce damage to your brain and also vital organs.