Kidney Infection- Two kidneys are the vital part of your urinary system; their major jobs include filtering the drugs along with other wasters out of blood and maintaining normal blood pressure. Besides, you need these fist-sized organs to control your body’s fluids, acid level and red blood cell production. Obviously, if they have any problem, it can affect your mental and physical health a lot more than you would expect.
What is Kidney Infection?
As its name suggests, kidney infection, also called pyelonephritis, is a common term when at least one of your kidneys gets infected.
The consequences of this disease are annoying and dangerous; you have to face with burning condition during the urination, urging to urinate more often, fatigue, tiredness, dry skin or even fever. If left untreated over a period, it could result in life-threatening complications.
What Causes Kidney Infection?
You may wonder how your kidney becomes infected; the answer is due to the invasion of harmful bacteria. At first, you should know that your urinary system consists of two kidneys, urinary bladder, two ureters and urethra. To be more specific, bad bacteria goes along the urethra up to your bladder where stores the stinky urine. The inflammation will begin right in the bladder and then spreads to one or both of your kidneys.
Who are More Prone to Kidney Infection?
Commonly, a pregnant woman is more likely to catch kidney infection than ordinary people. However, some following factors also can set you at higher risk of this terrible disease:
- Elderly people
- Bad lifestyle habits
- Weak immunity by HIV, rare medical syndromes, diabetes …
- Used to have kidney infection
- People with long-term catheter use
Home Remedies for Kidney Infection
- Hot Compress
As you know, the kidney infection will cause severe pains at your lower back or some areas between your hips and ribs. They can lead to the difficulty in walking or running around, so you might have to sit down for a period until it goes away. But don’t be too worried, this home remedy enables hot water to release the tension of your muscles and prevents the pain from coming back. Moreover, hot compress helps stimulate blood circulation and reduce inflammatory condition.
How to use
- Soak a clean washcloth into a bowl of hot water, squeeze out the extra water and press on your painful areas. Don’t forget to repeat it on a daily basis to get rid of kidney infection.
- Another way is to use a large heating pad.
- More Intake of Vitamin C
The human body needs an excellent source of vitamin C to boost the immune system and overall health. Indeed, your immunity is a wonderful shield which protects you from bacteria, viruses and other harmful agents. In regards to immunity function, it also can fight off infection and prohibit the growth of bad bacteria in your kidney. Hence, you should have more intake of vitamin C to deal with a kidney infection.
How to use
- Eat several beneficial fruits or vegetables which are loaded with vitamin C like orange, papaya, strawberry, kiwi, broccoli, kale, cauliflower…
- Or you can consume vitamin C supplement every day, but you need to ask your doctor first.
- Herbal Tea
Herbal tea has been popularly used to reduce some severe symptoms of kidney infection, and it is perfect for your health. It is simple and easy to prepare an enjoyable cup of tea anytime you want. The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial substances of several herbs have an impressive effect on easing the pain and decreasing infection such as parsley, chrysanthemum, chamomile and so on. On the other hand, herbal tea can accelerate the healing process and relax your mind productively.
How to use
- Get 2 – 3 teaspoons of your favourite herb into a cup of hot water
- Steep it for 5 – 10 minutes then have it strained
- Drink the herbal tea on a daily basis to enhance both of your physical and mental health.
- Olive Oil
One of the most natural home remedies for kidney infection is to use olive oil. This essential oil takes time to show its result on treating a kidney infection; you should keep following it for more than a week. In fact, the bad bacteria which cause infection in your kidneys need abnormal acidity to develop. In this case, olive oil can balance your acidic levels and eliminate bacteria effectively.
How to use
- Mix 3 – 4 teaspoons of olive oil with a little lemon juice in a small cup of water
- Stir it up to create a mixture
- Consume it regularly for weeks to fight off the dangerous infection.
- Cranberry Juice
Another excellent home remedy for kidney infection is cranberry juice that you can prepare right at your home. Cranberry juice can lessen the chance of getting kidney infection because of its anti-inflammatory property. Furthermore, daily consumption of cranberry juice can prohibit your infected condition from becoming a chronic one. It is advised that you had a better drink a cup of sugar-free cranberry juice for added flavour and benefit.
- Baking Soda
While discussing the useful home remedies for a kidney infection, you cannot look down on the good result of baking soda. Indeed, baking soda is responsible for maintaining the levels of bicarbonate inside your kidneys. Thus, it helps you kill harmful bacteria and stay away from urinary tract infection efficiently.
How to use
- Add 2 – 3 teaspoons of baking soda to a glass of lukewarm water
- Use a spoon to dissolve the baking soda thoroughly
- Drink that liquid frequently until you get better.
- Watermelon Seeds
Not many people know that watermelon seeds can be used as a fantastic home remedy for a kidney infection. These small seeds aid you in relieving the pain and inflammation quickly. Indeed, they are so good for curing the kidney bladder as well as kidney infection which you are suffering from.
How to use
- Add some watermelon seeds to a bowl of hot water
- Let it cool down naturally and remove used seeds
- Drink this liquid frequently as needed.